My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://loveshackbaby.net
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, August 31, 2008

When In Doubt...

go with The Smiths. I'm up late too many nights wondering where my life is going, spending days doing useless things, and consoling myself that my mp3 hording, ... er hoarding, (edit: had to keep that typo in, it was toooo funny to hide! I mean, can you imagine a horde of mp3's coming your way? ha ha ha) is oh so much better than a drinking habit! So, at this point, being completely uninspired and uninterested in anything, I'm cocooning back into my warm and fuzzy hole with Morrissey and a rather odd song, lyrically. The closing track on The Queen Is Dead, features Marr's gorgeous guitar, layered over what can most generously be described as ridiculous lyrics.
From the ice-age to the dole-age
There is but one concern
I have just discovered :

Some girls are bigger than others
Some girls are bigger than others
Some girls mothers are bigger than
Other girls mothers

Some girls are bigger than others
Some girls are bigger than others
Some girls mothers are bigger than
Other girls mothers

As anthony said to cleopatra
As he opened a crate of ale :

Oh, I say :
Some girls are bigger than others
Some girls are bigger than others
Some girls mothers are bigger than
Other girls mothers

Some girls are bigger than others
Some girls are bigger than others
Some girls mothers are bigger than
Other girls mothers

Send me the pillow ...
The one that you dream on ...
Send me the pillow ...
The one that you dream on ...
And Ill send you mine
By far, the most interesting interpretation of this song is from a website, which describes:

THE DIANA-MORRISSEY PHENOMENON

August 31, 1978:
19 year-old Steven Morrissey first meets guitarist Johnny Marr,
the one who will launch Morrissey's career several years later
by aggressively enlisting him to co-found a band: The Smiths.

August 31, 1997:
19 years to-the-day since Morrissey met guitarist Johnny Marr,
Princess Diana is killed under circumstances foreshadowed
in Morrissey's work, beginning with an album by The Smiths.
This same site takes a kind of Nostradamus take on Morrissey's career, mining his work for prophesy of Diana's death, finding similarities in album artwork, song lyrics; almost everything is fair game when it comes to predicting the tragic end of the beloved Princess. I found it creepy but also hugely entertaining, go see for yourself!

Now, what I take away from this conspiracy collection is that perhaps this song isn't about fat girls at all, as most other commentators have mused. I like his point that "big" can mean "famous" and having great social importance. And that folks, is indeed a new and refreshing point of view on these goofy lyrics, regardless of it's muddled source!

So, even though I've been burning the candle at both ends to stoke my self-inflicted misery, I'm finding insight in the oddest crevices of the nets! HA! Take that Rolling Stone!

Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others mp3 The Smiths: The Queen Is Dead

The dreamy verse at the end, sung so oddly is beautiful and sweet, a fitting end to this perfect album. If you must buy only one Smiths album (and for the love of all that is right in the world, buy two!) then let it be The Queen Is Dead.

2 comments:

Rol said...

In that case, shouldn't it be "Some girls mother-in-laws are bigger than some girl's mothers"? Or something.

I'm surprised with all this going through your head that you weren't burning a candle in the wind.

a Tart said...

oh Rol, good to have you back :) xoxo